How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to upgrade to a more sophisticated model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a deceased family member: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- Of the total population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
This is really worrisome. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. In fact, new studies come out every day showing how important hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely persuasive fact. But that expense can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
Your old hearing aid can have a huge impact, in the health, quality of life and financial stability, for a person in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It could also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.